Today marks the anniversary of women’s securing the right to vote, in 1920, after 72 years of struggle.
We’ve come a long way. But we have a long way to go. Consider:
• Women lack equal pay, making $.77 for every dollar men earn.
• The US has no guaranteed medical leave for childbirth. (168 countries do.)
• The US is near the bottom of the list in our public support for quality child care for children of working parents.
• Access to affordable birth control is under attack.
• Reproductive rights are threatened.
• Women make up 16 percent of representatives in Congress.