Join us for the Network’s annual spring strategy session
This meeting of the SC Progressive Network/Progressive Voter Coalition (SC ProVote) will be held at the spacious new Teamsters Hall in West Columbia. We will finalize plans for the Network’s ground game through the end of the legislative session, the primary elections and the November general elections.
Please RSVP by calling 803-808-3384 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pay at door. Nobody turned away for lack of funds. You do not need to be a Network member to attend. All welcome for all or part of the program.
Registration with no meals, $5; with lunch only, $15; with dinner only, $15; with lunch and dinner, $25.
See you at Teamsters Local 509 Union Hall, 2604 Fish Hatchery Rd. in West Columbia!
9:30am – Registration
10 – Welcome
10:15 – Health care and the Affordable Care Act – What’s fact and fiction, how is it being used politically, and what role we can play in health care reform in South Carolina? We will discuss nonpartisan strategies that churches and civic groups can use to educate voters about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act — and the tragic human cost of refusing to accept billions of federal dollars to provide health care to 250,000 poor South Carolinians.
• Origins of the ACA’s individual mandate was a Republican plan
• Single payer and universal health care
• The ACA as planned and implemented in SC
• Can SC still accept the Medicaid expansion funding?
• What does a nonpartisan GOTV campaign for health care look like?
• Hometown strategies
• Challenging the faith communities
Noon – Voting rights – staying vigilant in light of recent changes
• Election Protection project: Photo ID and Section 5
• Legislative report: Early voting and election system reforms
• Missing Voter Project (State Voices database)
1pm – Lunch. Catered sandwiches and sides on site. Time for networking and small-group discussions.
2pm – Network business
• Brief reports from chapters; and updates on membership, finances and communications
• Modjeska Simkins School
• New Legacy Project
• Brief reports on legislation we are tracking
Adjourn c-3 meeting. Convene c-4 meeting
3pm – Taking it to the streets and polls
• Mapping political realities and strategies for maximizing our movement-building
• Targeting legislative districts for grassroots campaign on health care
• Defining roles of SC Progressive Voter Coalition and SC Democratic Party Progressive Caucus
• Members-only political action web site
4pm: Primary and general election targets
5pm Adjourn for dinner
Read Free Times’ write-up on the meeting.